Woodworm can strike when you least expect it. Although they’re harmless when they’re outside, they present a huge problem if they get into your house. They will bore through any wood they can find, from furniture legs to structural support beams, and any infestation should therefore be dealt with as soon as possible.
Although certain wood-boring insects, such as the longhorn beetle, are more prevalent in some areas of the UK than others, this is a problem that households across the country have to be on the lookout for. JG Pest Control is dedicated to helping properties from London to Manchester eradicate their woodworm infestations via heat, chemical or freezing treatments depending on specific circumstances.
Species of Woodworm
There are four main types of woodworm found in the UK:
- Furniture Beetle – this species of woodworm is commonly and feeds on both hardwoods and softwoods.
- Deathwatch Beetle – the deathwatch beetle makes a ticking noise when mating, which is where it gets its name and which can be a tell-tale sign of an infestation. It can also be difficult to eradicate, so it is best to get help from professionals.
- Longhorn Beetle – this beetle is attracted to softwoods. Roof timbers are an ideal nesting ground for the longhorn beetle and in warm weather it flies, causing an infestation to spread to neighbouring properties.
- Powderpost Beetle – this species is a hardwood eater and can completely destroy timber.
- Wood boring insects are commonly found outside, where they seldom cause a problem
- If they enter your home it could soon become infested
- These insects infest floor boards, wooden beams, and any wooden furniture
The JG team will visit your home and assess the extent of the woodworm infestation before making recommendations regarding the type of treatment to use. Heat treatments are the most effective and least invasive for the homeowner, but chemical and freezing treatments may alternatively or additionally be used.
Get in touch with JG Pest Control about our woodworm treatment services by calling us on 0330 053 9001 .
For leading woodworm control services near you, by qualified RSPH technicians, call JG Pest Control now, on 0330 053 9001
Signs of Woodworm
Woodworm larvae nest in wood, which they feed on until it crumbles into dust. One of the early signs that they might be present is the pinholes they leave in the wood where they have burrowed into it. Additionally, there may be small patches of sawdust on the floor around the affected areas.
These woodworms need to be eradicated, rather than simply controlled, as they will just continue to damage furnishings further if left alone.
Remove Woodworm From Home or Business,
0330 053 9001
How to Treat Woodworm
Once an infestation has occurred, there isn’t an effective do-it-yourself method of woodworm eradication.
There are various shop-bought products that, if used correctly, can help control a woodworm problem; however, it is always recommended you speak to a professional as a survey is often required to determine the extent of a woodworm problem.
For more advice please call JG Pest Control.